The best facial plastic surgeon can help you understand your procedure
The best facial plastic surgeon in Charlotte NC can help you prepare for facial surgery. Facial plastic surgery is a life-changing decision that can have profound effects on one’s physical appearance, self-esteem, and social interactions. However, it is not a simple or easy process that can be done without careful preparation and consideration. In this article, we will explore some of the emotional aspects of facial plastic surgery, and how to prepare for the transformation that awaits.
Why do people choose facial plastic surgery?
There are many reasons why people may seek facial plastic surgery, ranging from cosmetic to reconstructive. Some common motivations include:
- Improving one’s appearance and confidence by correcting perceived flaws or enhancing desired features
- Restoring one’s facial function and form after trauma, disease, or congenital defects
- Rejuvenating one’s facial appearance and reversing the signs of aging
- Changing one’s facial identity and expression to align with one’s gender, ethnicity, or personal preference
Whatever the reason, facial plastic surgery is a personal choice that should be made after thorough research and consultation with a qualified and experienced surgeon. It is important to have realistic expectations and goals and to understand the risks and benefits of the procedure.
What are the emotional stages of facial plastic surgery?
Facial plastic surgery is not only a physical transformation but also an emotional journey that can involve various feelings and challenges. According to Dr. Dirk Kremer1, a plastic surgeon based in London, UK, most patients go through the following emotional stages before and after facial plastic surgery:
- Pre-surgery: excitement and nervousness
- Post-surgery: relief and pain
- Early recovery: disappointment and doubt
- Late recovery: acceptance and satisfaction
Pre-surgery: excitement and nervousness
Before the surgery, patients are likely to feel excited about the prospect of improving their appearance and self-esteem, as well as nervous about the possible complications and outcomes. They may also experience anxiety, fear, guilt, or shame about their decision, especially if they face criticism or pressure from others. To cope with these emotions, patients should:
- Seek support from family, friends, or other patients who have undergone similar procedures
- Communicate openly with their surgeon about their concerns and expectations
- Educate themselves about the procedure and the recovery process
- Prepare themselves mentally and physically for the surgery by following their surgeon’s instructions
Post-surgery: relief and pain
After the surgery, patients are likely to feel relieved that they have survived the operation and achieved their desired result. However, they may also suffer from pain, discomfort, swelling, bruising, numbness, or itching in the operated area. They may also experience nausea, fatigue, or depression due to anesthesia, medication, or hormonal changes. To cope with these emotions, patients should:
- Follow their surgeon’s post-operative care instructions carefully
- Take painkillers and antibiotics as prescribed
- Rest and sleep well
- Drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious foods
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and sun exposure
- Avoid strenuous activities to prevent any sutures from rupturing
Early recovery: disappointment and doubt
During the early recovery period, which can last from a few weeks to a few months depending on the procedure, patients may feel disappointed or doubtful about their appearance. They may not recognize themselves in the mirror or feel that they look worse than before. They may also worry about scarring, infection, asymmetry, or rejection of the graft or implant. They may also face negative reactions or comments from others who are not used to their new look. To cope with these emotions, patients should:
- Be patient and trust the healing process
- Remember that swelling and bruising will subside gradually
- Keep in touch with their surgeon for regular follow-ups and adjustments
- Seek professional help if they develop signs of infection or psychological distress
- Focus on the positive aspects of their transformation
Late recovery: acceptance and satisfaction
During the late recovery period, which can last from several months to a year or more depending on the procedure, patients may finally feel acceptance and satisfaction with their appearance. They may notice that their scars have faded and their features have settled into a natural and harmonious balance. They may also feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin and in social situations. They may also receive compliments or admiration from others who appreciate their beauty. To cope with these emotions, patients should:
- Celebrate their achievement and enjoy their new look
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle to preserve their results
- Express gratitude to their surgeon and support network
- Share their experience and advice with others who are considering facial plastic surgery
How can Dr. Sean Freeman help you prepare for your transformation?
OnlyFaces is a leading facial plastic surgery practice that offers a wide range of procedures for cosmetic and reconstructive purposes. Whether you want to enhance your nose, eyes, lips, chin, cheeks, ears, forehead, neck, or skin, OnlyFaces has the expertise and experience to help you achieve your goals.
OnlyFaces is led by Dr. Sean Freeman, a renowned facial plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in performing thousands of successful surgeries. At OnlyFaces, you will receive personalized care and attention from Dr. Sean Freeman and his team of qualified staff. You will be guided through every step of your journey from consultation to recovery with compassion and professionalism. You will also benefit from the latest technology and techniques that ensure safety, precision, and natural results.
If you are ready to embark on your emotional journey of facial plastic surgery: preparing for transformation, contact OnlyFaces today to schedule your appointment.
Consult the best facial plastic surgeon in Charlotte NC
Contact Dr. Sean Freeman at Only Faces, Charlotte’s most experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and top facial plastic surgeon, to schedule a consultation to find out what procedure is right for you. Call today.